Modernizing IT Systems to Increase Agility
Ranked as one of the top 10 insurers and grossing approximately $22 billion per year in revenue, this Insurer is embarking on a large-scale modernization of their IT systems. Their primary business is supplemental insurance that covers customers’ gaps in their other insurances. They sell to and through human resource departments. Typically, customers would buy a plan through their employer. The Insurer leverages both agents and brokers (independent agents) as their primary channel. The Insurer has brand recognition that is on par with Coca-Cola, but has been only able to penetrate 5 percent of the global employee market.
Akana Helps With ...
Automate Agent and Partner Onboarding
Design and Document APIs
Security Across APIs Internally and Externally
Modernizing an IT System
The Insurer wants to modernize their IT systems to increase agility giving them flexibility to:
- Change their product offerings as the market demands.
- Optimize the buying processes for their consumers and streamline selling process for agents.
- Penetrate a greater percentage of the market.
Prior to modernization, the Insurer’s infrastructure consisted of traditional heavy weight ESBs and a substantial .NET backend. The time to build and deploy changes was six months or longer, and not as responsive to the Insurer’s market needs. In addition, the risks to deploy the changes were often very high. Their applications were built as large monolithic applications requiring several changes to be deployed at the same time due to the availability of deployment windows.
The Insurer’s vision for modernized IT systems included:
- Microservices: Re-architecting their applications and service into microservices.
- APIs: Removing manual processes and optimizing interactions with agents and partners through APIs.
- Security Gateway and Portal: Handling security exposures both internally and externally.
- DevOps: Changing from a waterfall development process to agile/scrum development process.
API Management Solution
The Insurer chose the on-premises Akana platform with a hybrid option. As the foundation of their modernization strategy, the Akana platform provides a standard and configurable way to:
- Manage the portfolio and lifecycle of the microservices.
- Automate agent and partner onboarding with workflow.
- Design and document APIs.
- Aggregate services to form new APIs.
- Apply security consistently across APIs internally and externally.
As of March 2016, the Insurer has the Akana API Gateway capabilities in production. They’re working on branding the developer portal and defining customized workflows for partner onboarding. The Insurer plans to establish an Agile development process that will be enabled by the portfolio management and DevOps capabilities of the Akana Platform.
Akana helped customers like this Insurer with modernizing their IT systems while maintaining consistency and reliability. See for yourself how Akana can help you achieve the same goal.