API Security Resource Guide
To say that securing the data that is communicated and transacted among applications is one of the biggest concerns for software vendors and online services is accurate, but a huge understatement. Since data is essentially the currency with which companies attract users and conduct business, there is no room for it to be compromised. A single breach of trust between company and customer (or partner, supplier or any other participant in the ecosystem) will result in a dramatic reduction in credibility. Considering how quickly and easily people can change the providers they work with, this could have draconian repercussions on any organization.
Consider recent security breaches that have made headlines, put businesses in jeopardy, and created global security risks: the NSA spying case, WikiLeaks, Snapchat's breach; these are just a few of the major issues that have happened recently. They have put a renewed focus on how important it is to ensure the privacy of data, while still keeping it flexible enough to do its job.
APIs are the engine of all these transactions of data, commerce and communication, so naturally we obsess about how to keep APIs and the data they work with, secure and authenticated. Our conversations with customers and partners all usually come back to API security at some point. We want you, as stakeholders, to understand what it means to create and work in a secure application environment, so we've created this resource guide to give you a primer on API Security:
General API Security
- API Security: Creating a Solid Foundation: Web APIs heighten security exposure for enterprise information assets across the big three of information security: Confidentiality, integrity and reliability.
- OAuth Community: OAuth developer community.
- OAuth Server: Share Data Securely for Mobile, APIs and Web Apps: Learn about our comprehensive security token server that integrates with enterprise identity and access management systems providing the latest Web and API security standards including OpenId and OAuth.
- API Security: Does My Business Need OAuth?: OAuth provides a comprehensive security mechanism to secure your application data and allow for collaborative development and usage.
- Security-First API Maturity: How to provide perimeter security with a Policy Enforcement Point, Policy Administration Point, and Policy Decision Point.
- JWT for API Security: Learn what JSON Web Tokens (JWT) are and how the various ways they are applied for API security.
API Security and Management with API Gateway
- API Gateway: For API security, integration, mediation and deployment.
- Anatomy of an API Gateway: An overview of how to use a gateway to manage your APIs.
- API Gateway - Simplified Security and Management: The API gateway streamlines security, development, operation and management of APIs.
Securing Mobile Apps
- Unified Security for APIs, Apps, and Mobile: Issues and opportunities with private APIs that enable enterprise applications to communicate and transact with one another.
- Mobile Application Gateway: Our solution for externalizing applications, services and data for mobile consumption.
- Open Banking and PSD2 Solutions: Discover how the Akana platform provides security and compliance solutions for financial institutions.
- SCA for Open Banking APIs: Find out how to secure payments with SCA (Strong Customer Authentication).
Do You Have a Security-First API Strategy?
Are you protected from a breach? Is your security strong enough to satisfy regulatory requirements? Speak with our team of API experts for a free API management strategy assessment.